We were treated to a powerpoint presentation on the current news, along with a lot of recommendations for preparedness in the communities of Ecuador. Things got a little heated when one of the doctors in the room pressed the presenter with why he thinks every child in Ecuador needs to have information cards on how to prevent the flu, and the presenter kept insisting that her job was only to inform. But regardless, news of this awful disease sure is hitting home here, even when there are no cases (thankfully) in Ecuador. Our preceptor, Dr. Espinel, was on national TV this morning as well (he's famous!) explaining the virus and its symptoms/transmission.
Jennifer and I sure are keeping our fingers crossed that this thing blows over quickly and with as little impact as possible! And, hopefully any travel restrictions that are in place won't prevent us from returning back to the United States on May 14th... already a student that came from Holland just yesterday had some delays with air transportation due to issues stemming from concern over Swine Flu. But in any case, here's hoping that everyone at home stays Swine Flu-free!
Personally, I think the whole thing has been overblown and media driven. I think common sense comes into play and the normal precautions for the seasonal flu should be undertaken by anyone who thinks they might have the flu. I know that there are international cases but remember SARS and the bird flu....We should be vigilant and cautious but not frenzied.
ReplyDeleteYou mean I've been overreacting by stocking up on N95 surgical masks and dousing my keyboard at work with alcohol?
ReplyDeleteThis HlNl is a combination of swine, avian and human flu whitch makes it different. someone said on TV that it was man induced, could that be? Get my baby home, Mema
ReplyDelete