Sunday, April 12, 2009

THE BEACH!!!

I kn ow with each blog we convince you more and more of how hard we're working, so I thought that we'd add to that with this blog. We got to the beach Wednesday afternoon and left Saturday afternoon. The travelling to and from was rather painful (see Justin's blog), but I loved getting to spend some time swimming in the Pacific Ocean.
The water was beautiful, and deliciously cool in light of the rather HOT sun. That Equator stuff ain't no joke :) I slathered on 70 spf sunscreen three times one morning and still managed to get burned. (We only went out in the mornings. It was simply too hot/burning to go to the beach in the afternoons).
This is the hotel we stayed in that was literally about thirty feet or less from the beach. It cost $7/day, which is awesome, though there was no air conditioning or hot water. There was, however, a fan (definite necesity), and the hot water wasn't really missed at all (the "cold" water was reasonably warm).
Our room :) Over the door, there were slots to let the air come in, the same in the bathroom, so that you would have a breeze all night long. With the fan, we actually slept quite well even without air conditioning.
Mateo seemed to think that the beach was where you played soccer rather than where you swam. He's quite the little player :)

Luis and Vanessa took us to a beach where you go to see-and-be-seen. This meant dressing up in our beach best. Justin's representin' UAB.On Friday, we went up to the top of a nearby clif to go para-gliding (not sure of the right word). It's like hang-gliding only with a parachute. We went tandem, so it wasn't scary at all, and the views were amazing! We should have taken our cameras up with us. The beach view was phenomenal.

All in all, it was a great way to spend the weekend. We were tired, slightly burned, happy people by the end. More adventures to come!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend at the beach leading up to Easter. Glad you guys enjoy the experience. I guess neither of you has a fear of heights. Amazing that you got burned with SPF 70.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely place. I think y'all are having too much fun, though. Wish I were there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour !

    Je n'avais jamais rien vu de l'Équateur et trouver votre blog, suis très heureux. Photographies splendides. Et vous nous faites bien visiter avec vous. :o)

    ReplyDelete