Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Will it be the D train or the C train???

For anyone who´s travelled internationally, especially to countries where sanitation can be a luxury, you already know exactly what I´m referring to. When your GI system encounters food it´s never had to process before, it´s really not sure what to do. Should it speed up, slow down, reject the food all together? Justin and I have both had experience with this in our previous trips to foreign countries, but I, at least, have never been so "adventurous" before (re: intestines in my intestines below). Justin says we´ve progressed to being a couple of 80 year-olds who consider their latest bowel movement the discussion of choice. So far, since you are all dying to know, I´m hovering safely on the C-side of normal, while Justin has had only one jump or so over to the D-side. As of yet, we haven´t had to break out the antibiotics we brought down. In keeping with the train metaphor in the title - Justin likes to say that if he gets stuck on the D train he can take the I connector (Imodium) to the C train. He really does crack me up - which is actually rather painful at the moment because I returned to the gym this morning for yet more pain and my abs are killing me.
You can read Justin´s post about our trip today. It was actually really, really fun. I was originally unimpressed with La Mitad del Mundo, but our tour at the second site was much better. Everyday I´m getting more and more comfortable figuring out our way around the city and speaking Spanish. It´s amazing that we´ve only been here three days. I can´t wait to see how easy it will be to speak Spanish in May.
So far we´re still not sure if we´re going to start work this week or wait til Monday. Either way, we´re already excited about planning a trip to Baños this weekend. It´s a town with natural hot springs and lots of fun things to do like horse back riding (Justin´s thrilled about this, heeheehee), taking a bike ride to an overlook of the Amazon basin, and, obviously, the hot water springs. We´ll also probably check to see if we can get cheap tickets to the Galapagos, because that´s high on our list of things to do while we´re here.
I´d post more pictures (for example: of my room, other pictures we couldn´t include on previous blogs, etc) but it takes about a year to get 3 or 4 pictures posted, so I´ll wait until tomorrow.
We love everyone´s comments, so please keep them up!!

2 comments:

  1. I think I would rather be on the C train than the D train. I agree with you....there's something not right about putting intestines in your intestines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, the train sounds its horn before coming into the station. Although, usually the C-train just sounds the horn a few times and doesn't come until much later. The D-train doesn't give much warning which is why it's harder to prepare for its arrival.

    ReplyDelete