
Soccer here is like college football in Alabama, only perhaps even more important. I´m pretty sure the entire city of Quito (some 3 million inhabitants) watched the game yesterday. The stadium, which is only a few blocks from our house, was completely sold out. It´s possible we could have gotten a couple of tickets for about $100 dollars a piece, but Justin and I decided to go to La Foch (pronounced fosh) with Vanessa and a friend of hers. It´s also called Mariscal, which Justin´s going to blog about, where we attempted to go dancing last Friday night. The area makes up a couple of streets and is filled with restaurants, bars, and dance clubs. It´s a popular spot for tourists and locals alike. Sunday afternoon it was packed. There wasn´t a single seat available in any of the bars with televisions, so we ended up leaning against some stairs to watch the game. The game was close. Ecuador, by far, made the most goal attempts, but they just couldn´t seem to get the ball in the goal. Twice everyone in the bar broke out into ecstatic cheers only to realize that Ecuador hadn´t actually scored. Then Brazil came out of nowhere in the second half to get a goal, making the score 0-1. With about 5 minutes left in the game, Ecuador finally managed to score. Everyone was hugging, kissing, and high-fiving. I´m pretty sure I saw a few grown men cry. The game ended with the score tied 1-1. Not a win, but infinitely better than a loss.

So that was our day yesterday, by the time our bus made it home through the mad traffic, Justin and I were too exhausted to do anything other than go to bed.
Today wasn´t anything much to write about. We went to the gym, went to the hospital, came here. The only thing of note was our almuerzo (lunch). I saw potatoes and I saw some strangely shaped chunks of meat in my soup. One part was gizzard, another part was heart, but it was the last part that got me. You can´t tell by the picture, but this is a chunk of spine, complete with spinal cord and surrounding musculature. 
I briefly lost my appetite, but hey, I´m slowly checking off parts of the body that I have yet to eat. Yum, yum :=)
We have been following your lively escapades and look forward to the next installment each day. Keep on having fun.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Grandma and Grandpa
Hmmmmmm! Anatomy soup, how delightful. Justin knows how much I love untraditional stuff in my food. I'm glad you guys got to see the game and that Ecuador was able to salvage a tie.
ReplyDeleteI'm gonna write a new hit diet book called the "Go to Ecuador Diet" and the tagline will be "I dare you to eat this stuff." There will be a disclaimer that says "if this looks good to you, losing weight isn't your only issue." It'll be a hit with all the Hollywood stars.
ReplyDelete