Impressive peaks were partially hidden by mist and cloud and an almost deafening silence replaced the horns and shouts of the city. When we reached the top (over 12,000 ft high), it was impressive how thin the air felt. I´d never really understood that expression before, but I really could feel the absence of oxygen. Had we felt like it, Justin and I could have breathed some flavored oxygen for only $5 :) From the start, I had wanted to hike a trail that ascended another 3,000 ft or so. Two problems. One: The trail was an almost 6 hour round trip hike rated highly strenuous due to the altitude. Two: It was unfortunately common for robberies to occur along the trail. For some reason, Justin was hesitant about going. Silly man. I´m more stubborn than he is, so in the end I wore him down and off we went.
The first hill just about killed us. Justin had warned me about the affect that altitude has on your ability to exert yourself, but nothing prepares you for what it really feels like. I was gasping air like a fish out of water, desperately trying to capture the few remaining oxygen molecules. My heart was trying to beat out of my chest. What would have taken me a minute or so to hike in Alabama took us about 6. We stopped at the top of the hill huffing and puffing and looked in dismay at the peaks rising in front of us. Justin gasped something about me being crazy and going back, which, though I was more than uncertain we COULD do it, made me determined to try. The next hill we took at snail pace, which worked infinitely better, and gradually we began to enter another world of strange mountain peaks and cloud.
The first hill just about killed us. Justin had warned me about the affect that altitude has on your ability to exert yourself, but nothing prepares you for what it really feels like. I was gasping air like a fish out of water, desperately trying to capture the few remaining oxygen molecules. My heart was trying to beat out of my chest. What would have taken me a minute or so to hike in Alabama took us about 6. We stopped at the top of the hill huffing and puffing and looked in dismay at the peaks rising in front of us. Justin gasped something about me being crazy and going back, which, though I was more than uncertain we COULD do it, made me determined to try. The next hill we took at snail pace, which worked infinitely better, and gradually we began to enter another world of strange mountain peaks and cloud.
Only grasses and scrubby bushes could grow at this altitude, and as the wind blew through them I suddenly felt the desire to sing "Climb Every Mountain", the song in the Sound of Music that plays as the von Trapp family escapes over the mountains in Austria to find freedom. 
Sounds like a hike we took in Keystone CO several years ago from 9500ft to almost 13,000ft. You could hear me gasping for air on the video recording. When we went up the gondola to 14,200ft another day I thought my head would explode. Glad you had the drive and desire to get to the top. What was wrong with the guy who rode a bike down the world's most dangerous road?
ReplyDeleteWhen I hiked up Mt. Stairsatmyapartment this morning, I had to get the oxygen mask out. I can only imagine what it's like to go up 12,000 feet. Flavored oxygen doesn't sound half bad though....especially if it's hamburger flavored.
ReplyDelete